Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 2 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By turboguy

Thread: Trying to sort out my options on redoing one of my sites with Wordpress

Member #
    Liked
    120 times

Trying to sort out my options on redoing one of my sites with Wordpress

I have been a member here some time but I believe this is the first time I have asked a question but could use some help understanding what my best options are and what unforeseen pitfalls I might run into. Here is what I am pulling my hair out about.

I need to do a redo on my main website. I plan to do it using WordPress. I also want to change hosting companies. My main web site has probably 80 pages so it isn't a small site and it isn't done in WordPress. What I would like to do is to create the site without disrupting my current site and once it is done make it live.

Until I read the fine print I had planned to do this with a staging area that some hosts offer. When I look closer most staging areas are really designed more to test changes to a WordPress site hosted there without risking having errors that could crash the site. One (SiteGround) can do what I want but the fine print says if your domain is not pointed to them you have to set up a secondary hosting account with your domain registrar. This domain has Network Solutions for the registrar and looking at things I looks like setting up the secondary hosting is really difficult and that they don't offer much support on the issue. Until yesterday this was the plan but now that option is making me nervous.

My back up plan is to install WordPress on my computer and build the site and upload it. There are some tutorials on YouTube and it doesn't look easy but doesn't look that bad.

The next option I have not ruled out is to sign up for hosting with the hosting company I want to be my final host and I have a lot of unused URL's so I could build the site using one of the unused URL's and then rename the site. I have no idea what problems that would create but it does seem like a viable option but that is a guess. If someone trips over the site while I am building it that won't be a serious concern.

The last option and the one I like least would be to set up a sub-directory on my current host, install WordPress, build the site, repoint the domain and then move it to the new host. This would have some advantages but it would be the option I like least.

I just know enough to be dangerous so perhaps someone here who knows a lot more than I do can suggest which options would be the best and which problems I am not aware of that I might encounter. I am hoping to start on this in the next few days.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I did get this resolved. If anyone is ever wanting to do the same thing I wanted I would totally recommend SiteGround as a WordPress host. I want on their online chat and they set up a temporary URL for me and actually took care of everything for me. I was beyond impressed with their customer service. So I am all set.
    muuwebdesign and bleau canon like this.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Your babbling, that's one sign of old age lol.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child"

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    At this stage in life you have so much to focus on that it is hard not to babble. Even just getting up in the morning is difficult to remember everything. You wake up and have to remember to take your CPap off so you don't trip as you run to the bathroom before you wet the floor. Then you have to remember to put your teeth in. Remember to put your wig on. Remember to put your hearing aids in. Remember to put the back brace on. Remember to put your knee braces on. Remember where you put the depends. When you can't find something it is because you forgot to put on your trifocals. By the time you remember how to run the chair lift so you can get down starts you are so frustrated you are bound to babble. . Well I think I am babbling again.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    At this stage in life you have so much to focus on that it is hard not to babble. Even just getting up in the morning is difficult to remember everything. You wake up and have to remember to take your CPap off so you don't trip as you run to the bathroom before you wet the floor. Then you have to remember to put your teeth in. Remember to put your wig on. Remember to put your hearing aids in. Remember to put the back brace on. Remember to put your knee braces on. Remember where you put the depends. When you can't find something it is because you forgot to put on your trifocals. By the time you remember how to run the chair lift so you can get down starts you are so frustrated you are bound to babble. . Well I think I am babbling again.
    lol good one turboguy.

Since I'm retired now, I'm going to send that one to everyone in our office, especially our daughters that manage it now.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child"

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I am glad you enjoyed that. You do know that us old fogies are the reason FaceBook is so popular. It is the only way we can remember what we did yesterday.

I am sure with the beautiful place you live being retired lets you get to enjoy it even more. You are so helpful when it comes to WordPress issues particularly now you don't have any excuses not to spend more time here

I am not sure I will ever retire but one of these days would like to slow down a bit. Working 7 days a week does get old sometimes. I am in the process of updating a bunch of my web sites not and do have in the back of my mind this will probably be the last time I do it. After this go round I am going to take it a bit easier and let my kids run the business with me just giving some guidance and we will likely farm out the updates in the future.

I am sure your daughters will do a wonderful job continuing to provide great service.

Member #
    I like making websites with Wordpress, it is really very cool. I use some templates from https://www.templatemonster.com/cate...dpress-themes/ for this purpose, and everything is really nice with it, I have to say. I would like to recommend you to take a look at those themes too
    Last edited by Gokild; Aug 03rd, 2018 at 06:58 AM.

Member #
    Agree, I often use from http://themeforest.net. It's good to develop from theme.

Remove Ads