Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By bleau canon

Thread: Gutenburg

Member #
    Liked
    170 times

Gutenburg

We've been testing it and it's going to be a cluster of disaster when they make it the core in Wordpress the next version, and that includes your existing site or sites. It's going to replace the Classic Editor as the core editor.

When we installed it on some test sites we made to test it on, we lost the images and most of the text and had a lot of white pages with nothing on them. It also broke a lot of the plugins and they stopped working.

There are fixes for it, we installed them and got our test sites back but this needs doing before Wordpress does it's next upgrade.

I suggest you make yourself a test site and see how it works for you.

Here are over 800 negative reviews about it on Wordpress, with 1000's more across the web, and the developers are not listening.

Two of our developers made honest reviews. Their reviews got deleted and they got blocked from the Wordpress forums. A developer friend of ours made an honest post and also just mentioned this would probably cost her to lose her business. They deleted her review and blocked her from the WP forums also.

https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/gutenberg/reviews/?filter=1

Last edited by bleau canon; Nov 16th, 2018 at 09:58 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child"

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    I haven't played with it yet but was a little worried that the issues you talked about would create issues. I see the 1 and 2 star ratings number more than double the 4 and 5 star ratings. I have to wonder what that ratio would be if negative reviews were not deleted.

There is an old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    I haven't played with it yet but was a little worried that the issues you talked about would create issues. I see the 1 and 2 star ratings number more than double the 4 and 5 star ratings. I have to wonder what that ratio would be if negative reviews were not deleted.

There is an old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

We've talked to many developers about Gutenburg and WP. They all say, "if it ain't broke, which it isn't. leave it alone and just make Gutenburg a stand alone plugin for anyone that wants to use it. Don't mess with the core of WP that's made it as successful as it is. We all think that WP is headed down a rocky road like they're not expecting and could be the downhill slide for them

They don't seem to be listening to us. It was supposed to be released this November but I read where it's been pushed back several months.

We've got 3 new business sites to get started on this week to be in WP. The decision was made this afternoon to build 1 in Joomla and 2 in Drupal, not WP.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Nov 18th, 2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    I personally think if you use Wordpress, you need to take this Gutenburg upgrade seriously and start preparing for it. It's not going away.

A good read for you and a plugin concerning Gutenberg.

A good read including comments
    .https://wptavern.com/classic-editor-...to-end-in-2021

A Disable Gutenrburg plugin. Be sure to read the developers comments about it, especially in the reviews.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-gutenberg/
    Last edited by bleau canon; Nov 20th, 2018 at 03:04 AM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    If anyone wants to play it safe there is a wordpress plug in called WP Staging that allows you to set up a staging site where you can install Gutenburg on the staging site so you can test it out without messing up your main sites.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Our lead developer has joined this:

https://www.classicpress.net/
    Last edited by bleau canon; Nov 21st, 2018 at 07:28 AM.
    delstu likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Wordpress version 5.0 was released yesterday with Gutenberg as the core.

If you upgrade to 5.0, or it automatically upgraded and wrecked your site, here is a website with a possible fix to get it back working for you.

https://gschoppe.com/wordpress/wordp...-repair-guide/
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    It seems Gutenberg is crashing all over the world. We've been talking to other developers this week and it's costing people their businesses, especially woocommerce sites.

It also seems Wallenburg and his hand picked Gutenberg developers are turning their heads and either not listening or don't want to listen to what could be the downfall of Wordpress.

They seem to be avoiding the Gutenberg support forum and the reviews on Gutenberg and leaving people out to dry. It seems maybe they have no answers for the many people having serious issues with their piece of trash called...Gutenberg.

https://wordpress.org/support/plugin...iews/?filter=1

https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/gutenberg/

Bleau

Member #
    I found this thread really helpful

Remove Ads