Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: deciding which theme to use

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I am sure the original poster will enjoy seeing that and I am looking forward to seeing it as well. It is amazing what 14 year olds can do these days compared to someone like me who grew up before there was such a thing as a computer. I am particularly interested is seeing what she has been able to do with the Slider Revolution since so many cool things can be done.

I guess I am going to ramble on a bit here. I have always been fascinated with computers. I can recall reading an article in Popular Mechanics about the first micro computer, the Altair 8800 and going out of my way to see when at a dealer when I had a trip to Syracuse where one of the few dealers were. Ages ago I took a course in Cobol and that used IBM punch cards and the computer was about the size of a box truck and in a clean room. My first computer was a Sanyo 555 which was a clone of the IBM-PC. I wrote a program in DBase to run our commissions and we would start it at 7 am and it would finish printing out the commission statements about 12 hours later. I upgraded to a 286 computer later and it would run that program in 16 minutes. Of course we had a dot matrix computer that makes me wonder why I have any hearing left.

When I started to want a web site, designers were pretty hard to find. I recall going on one web site forum like this one and someone approached me about building a web site for me at an affordable price. After looking at his limited portfolio and chatting a while he told me he was 12 years old.

Later I had someone build one which was actually a sub domain for our community. I recall being thrilled when I was able to find it on a search engine for the first time. We were 268th on the list for our search term. About a year later I built my own first site using FrontPage98. I stayed with FrontPage through the 2002 version then used Dreamweaver after that. Ok, I am done rambling. I have been doing this some time and am quite sure your 14 year old grand daughter could run rings around my web site building skills. That is great she she is starting young.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    When I left Russia many years ago it seems to marry my American man computers were something the majority of the population, including me could ever wish for on our salaries. I was a surgeon in a hospital in Moscow making $80 a month with a set of twin baby daughters to care for.

My first computer was a pc with Russian windows in it and a Russian keyboard. About a year later I was ready for one with English windows and my husband bought me one. I still have both those computers and they both still work. I knew some British English when I got here and took ESL classes about 6 months later.

I can't imagine your era of computers and it was interesting to read about them.

The website our grand daughter is building is a major undertaking for her, or would be anyone else because of the amount of files that's on it, including slide shows and Vimeo videos.She works in our office with her mom and has since she was 10 years old, She's spent time in all departments learning and loves it.

She's actually building two websites for them. One is their new website and the one she's going to let me show you is a preview website of what's to come on their main site for their many subscribers. Their old site is in bad shape after 10 years and a CMS is the only way to go with it. She's doing an awesome job on their new site and the preview site is basically a much shorter version, same theme just a different approach to it.

She's used Slider Revolution before and on their new site she'll be using the Ken Burns effect with 5 slides on the main Home Page banner. She's proficient at Siteorigin's Pagebuilder, plugins and widgets, and that's the only one she'll use. She's not into the drag and drop block editors.

It's the contents of their website that makes the site, not the theme though. We have a lot of adopted kids here and she and her younger sis are adopted from China at ages 7 and 5 by one of our twin daughters. She has a lot of humor about her and is extremely intelligent. She had an incident with one of her computers here in the office last week that we're still laughing about.

Their website is about all these kids lives before and after arriving here, where they are in their lives now and their beautiful farm that is part of their hearts and souls. They've each written their own personal story about all of this. It's a very heart warming site and the praises they get on their Guestbook let's them know they've touched a lot of people.

They're planting their grain crops this week so it may push her into early next week before I can put the link up. All of our daughters are out on the farm, so I'm hanging here in the office for them until they get through.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    It was sort of interesting to watch computers evolve through the years. When that first computer came out I got to see one the second time when they set up a dealer 40 miles from me. They had one demo program they ran which allowed you to enter a date and it would tell you how many days that date was from today. It didn't seem like the most useful program.

When I bought my first computer the Sanyo 555 it came with two programs. Wordstar word processing and visicalc spreadsheet. The operating system was on a 5 1/2" floppy you had to put in any time you ran it and it ran on MS-Dos. My dream machine later on was the Osborne 1. I never got one but it was the first portable computer and was about the size of a sewing machine. You folded the lid down to expose about a 5" screen and the keyboard was built into the lid. I think it was around $ 1700.00. A few years later I bought my first laptop for $ 2400.00. Within 30 hours of use it fell apart. The keyboard fell off and all the keys came loose.

Medical professionals still are pretty underpaid compared to here. I made my first trip to Moscow around 1994. No one was making much money. Arranging that trip was nearly impossible. Everyone had a lot of curiosity about the USA in those days and everyone was very friendly and were amazing with their hospitality. I went back every 12-18 months for more than a decade and the changes came pretty fast. When I first went all the kiosks were calculating sales on an abacus. A few years later they had little pocket calculators and a few trips later they were computerized. One of the things I always noticed was there if you wanted a coke from a kiosk, you paid and then they brought you the coke or whatever you were buying. Here they of course bring the Coke and you pay. I ended up making about 25 trips to Russia and or Ukraine.

I have used a couple of different page builders and like Site Origins page builder a lot. It is a nice one to use. I am looking forward to see what she has done with Slider Revolution. Three are some cool things you can do with it. One slide I made has a slider about equipment to melt snow on roads and parking lots. The slide starts with a slide of a snow covered road, then the equipment slides in and in the background the snow on the road melts. Basically I found a similar setting with a wet road and set it up with a transparent background and a slow fade in so it just looks exactly like the snow melting.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    You're a history lesson with computers, especially for someone like me and the younger computer nerds. My husband told me last night that he built his first website on Angelfire, and when he saw it show up on the net he went into chest pounding mode lol. And it's still live on Angelfire.

I have to return Russia once a year to pay the taxes on my property in Moscow and my city and visit with my friends there. It's really changed a lot since I left their in the early 1990's, except for that 13.5 hour overnight train ride from Kursky Station in Moscow to my city. My husband calls that the most brutal train ride in the world lol. I didn't meet my husband online, don't even know if that existed then. He was over there helping dismantle some things after the USSR collapsed with a machine one of his businesses was building at the time.

He hurt his right arm, and the only hospital closest to him was my hospital in Moscow, and that's where he was sent. He was probably the first American any of us had ever seen, always smiling and very friendly. He didn't need a surgeon, but they sent him to me to care for because I knew some British English and could. more or less, carry on a conversation with him. He didn't know anyone to help him for a few days nor a place to stay, so I sacked him and had him admitted to the hospital so myself and the sisters could take care of him. Things were much different in Moscow then so when he was ready to leave I was still concerned about his arm and being alone. I sacked him again and took him to mine and the twins apartment to stay so he would not be getting into any trouble not speaking the language and understanding the culture. He stole the twins hearts and the rest is our history.

Slider Revolution is one of those things you can let your imagination run wild with and do some awesome things with. I looked at our grand daughters work flow chart yesterday to see what she may be doing with it. She's going to do all the article's text on both sites first, Next she plans on adding the slide shows, the videos and then the slider using the Ken Burns effect. One problem she says she may have is the images they want to use on it go back to 2012 and are not as clear as new images would be with their new camera. I saw no videos going to be added to their preview site so maybe her plans are to maybe put a slide on it somewhere.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with computers.

Edit: When I get some time tonight or tomorrow, I'll give a list of the plugins she's using, a Vantage Theme Customizer list of the settings she using to set up the theme. We have this on all of our themes we use so we can go straight to a theme setting without trying to remember, or hunt for it in the theme customizer. I'll also give a description of some of the widgets she's using and how they work with the SiteOrigin Page Builder and where to find them when you're building a page. This may help anyone new to the Page Builder and the Vantage theme.

I would also like to say, the only way we're affiliated with SiteOrigin is we have a developer license with them as we do with all the theme developers we use.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 26th, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Your story of meeting your husband sounds like something out of a movie. That was an interesting story and I enjoyed hearing about it. My wife also goes back to Russia once a year. This year she is going in September.

There was an internet in those days but not much on it of use and not all that many users. I made my first trip there before the internet and arranging the trip was a nightmare. I went to see my local travel agent that I knew well and told her I wanted to go to Russia and her response was "Why do you want to go to such a God awful place". Actually it was a wonderful place to visit and the people there were amazing and so much to see. I have been all over Russia. I have been to Moscow, Rostov, St Petersburg, Omsk, Nizney Novgorod, Yetkatrinburg, Sochi and Barnaul where my wife is from. I am probably missing a few places in my list.

I will be looking forward to the info on the plugins and other info on the Vantage theme. Before long I want to revisit the early sites I made with the Vantage theme and see what changes I want to make and I think the info you plan to post will be very helpful. You have been a big help to me. I have used the Vantage theme more than any other. I have used the Avada theme on three sites as well. I do really like the Vantage theme.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    Your story of meeting your husband sounds like something out of a movie. That was an interesting story and I enjoyed hearing about it. My wife also goes back to Russia once a year. This year she is going in September.
    Thanks for the compliments for my homeland and my people.

When anyone ask my husband how we met, and because of the injury to his arm, He laughs and tells them it was a very painful meeting for me. He'll then tell them how it actually went down for us.

Your wife is probably younger than me and can handle the trip better than I can now being in my 60's. Once she gets to Russia she still has another journey ahead of her to get to her city. When I go over there I get it done and get back home as soon as possible. Usually 10 to 12 days including travel time. Paying property taxes in Russia is a pain in the b*** and it takes much longer than here in the US. I go in the Fall and take all five of our daughters and two grand daughters with me. We do our Winter shopping there for our boots and coats.

Later tonight I'm going to start with the Vantage theme tutorial, the way we do it, and start from setting everything up in cPanel to installing the theme and the plugins. Then a little later, probably Sunday, I'll tell how the theme is being set up for this website and the plugins and widgets used and how some of them are used.

I hope it will help anyone, especially any newbies, to get a heads up start on using the Vantage theme and getting themselves a website built.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 27th, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
    delstu and turboguy like this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

Vantage Theme Setup

I decided to start this from the beginning in cPanel.to try and help anyone that doesn't know how to get started with their site in a control panel. With a regular cPanel hosting account your domain is already setup for you when you purchase hosting, but you still have to do things in cPanel to make your site go live.

All the kids here own their own vps due to the size of their site and the amount of readers it can have on it at one time. It's a managed vps by us here in the office.

The very 1st thing my grand daughter did was to start a workbook for the their new preview website, 3 ring notebook, and had sections in it for every page and everything concerning this website. She was taught to do this in our office. She also has an external hard drive connected to her build computer to continuously make backups while she works on this site and their new website.

She had already been to the registrar and changed the nameservers to their vps. She logged into the vps and made a cPanel account for this preview site using the domain.

She opens the cPanel and the first thing she does in cPanel is install a SSL Certificate on the domain.

She them goes to Softaculous > Wordpress > Install Wordpress.

Installing Wordpress On The Domain:
    She set the install up to read https://
    In the Directory she removed the WP so it would install on the domain only.
    She then answered all the other questions. She looked over everything again and then clicked on install.

Once WP had been installed she logged out of Wordpress, cPanel and the vps.

She opened the website in her Browser, had a good laugh on what the Gutenberg theme looked like and then bookmarked the site. Next she opened the page with the WP Admin panel on it and bookmarked it.
    domain.com/wp-admin

The WP Admin Dashboard:
    Once she logged into the site dashboard her main goal then was to kick Gutenberg out. She goes to Plugins > Add New.

She installed the Classic Editor and Disable Gutenberg plugins. She then goes to POST and makes sure the Classic Editor is there and the Gutenberg editor is no longer there.

Plugins She Installed For This Site:

Black Studio TinyMCE Widget
    Tiny MCE Advanced (Theses plugins will add the Visual Editor in SiteOrigin Page Builder, and this is what she uses for her Editor.)

SiteOrigin Premium (This removes SiteOrigin from the bottom of the footer and installs all of their premium widgets.) You do not have to purchased anything premium to build a website, Everything she installed will also work with other themes that are not SiteOrigin, including SiteOrigin Premium,

Page Builder by SiteOrigin

SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle

Widgets for SiteOrigin

Livemesh SiteOrigin Widgets

Spacer

Title Remover

Simple CSS

Slider Revolution

Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd

Easy Updates Manager (This plugin allows her to take control of any updates on the site, She disabled WP Core Updates)

Anti-Malware Security and Brute Force Firewall

She then installed the SiteOrigin Vantage Theme and activated.

She also installed Classic Press but didn't activate it.

She goes to Pages and makes a Home Page (I'll explain in the next tutorial how she sets up each individual page in the SiteOrigin Page Builder before she starts building the website)

Next she goes to Settings > Reading.
    Where it says Your homepage displays: She clicks on A Static Page (select below)
    On the drop down she chooses Home and Save.

She's now completed all the necessary things to start setting up her theme and start build the website.

She knows her way around WP pretty good and is proficient in SiteOrigin PageBuilder and all of their Widgets. She got that way by installing herself a test site on their vps and got busy learning how to make everything work for her, along with asking us many questions. She also knows some html & css and will use some on it on this new site.When she was setting this site up her mom and I sat on either side of her and never opened our mouths.

I'll try to get the next tutorial up tomorrow evening (Sunday here). I hope some of you learned somthing and it will help you go forward with confidence that "you" can build a pretty and functional WP website.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 27th, 2019 at 09:52 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

Fine Tuning The Vantage Theme

When a theme is installed on a WP site it’s usually a developer’s stock theme. For some this is exactly what a person wants for their website. We never use a stock theme so we fine tune it for our client’s needs. The Vantage theme is one of the most robust and simple themes to fine tune and give it the look and feel you want.

After our grand daughter setup her theme, as in my last comments, she started fine tuning the theme before she started building their preview site using the theme Customizer. She wanted to make changes to the Masthead, Menu and Footer and the colors they have chosen.

The first thing she did was to go into our database and pull up the Vantage Theme Customizer shortcuts we have made to speed up the process. We made this so we can remember where everything in the Customizer is and not have to go on the hunt for anything. You may want to make you a copy of the different sections of the Customizer she used to fine tune her theme. It might save you some time and frustrations also.

Menu Colors & Alignment > Theme Design > Menu

Masthead Layout > Theme Settings > Layout
    (You can also set your theme up as Full Width or Boxed Width there also)

Masthead Size and Colors > Theme Design > General

Fonts > Theme Design > Fonts

Site Title Color > Theme Design > Fonts

Center Site Title > Theme Design > General

Sticky Menu > Theme Settings > Navigation
    (This will keep the Menu at the top of the page when scrolling down a page)

Remove the stock ”Call Me Maybe” from the Masthead.
    (You can add any text you want to replace it or leave it off)

Remove Search from the Menu > Theme Settings > Navigation

Add your Copy Right > Theme Settings > General
    (To add the Copy Right Icon you will have to copy and past it in there. We have all that made up in our database for all themes. We paste it into Notepad, add the necessary Copy Rights for the business and then paste it into the Customizer)

You can copy and paste this and save it on your computer: Copy Rightę

Slider > Theme Settings > Home
    (When you make a slider for your site this is where you will change the name of it from Demo to the name of your slider that you’ve built)

Footer > Theme Design > Footer

Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:37 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

Her Theme Fine Tuned Settings

Menu Alignment > Center

Changed the Menu color to one of their colors.

Changed Menu Text color to one of their colors

Changed the Second Level Menu background color.

Changed the Menu Hover background color.

Changed the Second Level Menu color.

Changed Menu Item Vertical Padding. Made the Menu narrower by setting this to 15 px

Change Menu Item Horizontal Padding. This setting makes the Pages on the Menu closer together > 13 px

Change Menu Item Font Size to 13

Mast Head Size: By not putting anything on the Masthead, other than the Site Title, she changed the Header Padding to 35 and that made it narrower vertically.

Masthead > Masthead Color. This is where she changed the color of the Masthead from White to their color.

She made the Menu a "Sticky Menu". This keeps the Menu at the top of the page when scrolling down the page.

Site Title Color, changed to one of their site colors.

Site Title Font: Georgia

Body Font: Georgia

Site Title Size: 36

Search In Menu: Removed

In my next comments I'll give a show and tell on how she set up the pages on the site using SiteOrigin Pagebuild and the Widgets she use,
    Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi, I was out of town, enjoyed reading all the updates.

The site is in progress at https://tinyurl.com/yyvemwcy. My client has been in one online magazine twice, and in another online publication. I've added one of them under "From My Clients" for now.

Now I'm thinking to have a page with small thumbnails or screenshots of the articles with links. What do you guys think?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads