Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: deciding which theme to use

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pranaman View Post
    Hi, I was out of town, enjoyed reading all the updates.

The site is in progress at https://tinyurl.com/yyvemwcy. My client has been in one online magazine twice, and in another online publication. I've added one of them under "From My Clients" for now.

Now I'm thinking to have a page with small thumbnails or screenshots of the articles with links. What do you guys think?
    Glad to hear you made it back from your trip ok.

I've looked at your website again and I'm going to give you my personal opinion about the navigation menu on it. I didn't get past the landing page because of the text being so light I couldn't read it. Business websites should be to the point, not cluttered and where you can ready anything and everything on it at a glance.

I'm going to give you an expensive loss for a business from my husband. My husband owns a large architectural engineering and millwork business that will be 75 years old this July

He needs 2 new plotters, large format printers that will print 48 inch wide plans and as long as needed, for two of our daughters new offices just being promoted out of the shops into design and management rolls with two of their older sisters.

He goes to a website and finds a picture of exactly what he's looking for but no text, $13K each. The text was so light on the menu that he didn't go any further trying to find where the buy me button was.$26K loss for that business.

He goes to another website, same plotter but, he could read anything and everything on the website. Goes to the buy me button and orders them, $26K. When the people got the order they not only gave him a discount, they brought both plotters to their offices and installed them

As far as your question you're asking about linking articles. Maybe they're on the menu and I didn't look for them because I can't read the light text.(My personal opinion)
    Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 30th, 2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks. We just copied what she had in a SS site, https://bit.ly/2GcIepF. She hasn't said anything about it, and gave me about a dozen new additions.

I'll go through those first, and see how it looks after.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Thanks. We just copied what she had in a SS site, https://bit.ly/2GcIepF. She hasn't said anything about it, and gave me about a dozen new additions.

I'll go through those first, and see how it looks after.
    Sorry for the delay, we're slammed with work here in the office.

I don't want you to think that I'm after you in any way. I'm just trying to give you a heads up of what I know about light colored text that's difficult to read. I think that was a fad at one time and it hurt many a persons business websites.

I still would not even go past the landing page on that site you put up because of the light colored text that's difficult for me to read. You also have script readers out there that would do the same. They have to scroll a page to make it where they can read it, and light text is not one of their friends.

We have a lot of serious developers in this office, They do Wordpress, Drupal Joomla, Magento, hand code and do whatever it takes to present our client's websites to the public. Some of them have looked at that website and said no way because of the light text on the menu.

It seems to be your client's website, you have to satisfy her and anyone that views the website, understandable and thanks for sharing.

Good luck.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That's ok ,no worries. Sounds like you have a serious shop over there. Thanks for the idea, I will bring that up when I meet my client. She's away, we should meet in a few weeks.

Thank you and good luck as well.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This thread is fantastic thanks, I'll need to re-read it a few times. I've only built 1 website so far, on my 2nd - both using WordPress and the Vantage Theme. I have no website building experience before the last 6 months, so am still learning big time. I will definitely be checking out a few of those plugins. Thanks again for sharing all this.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by esc4p3 View Post
    This thread is fantastic thanks, I'll need to re-read it a few times. I've only built 1 website so far, on my 2nd - both using WordPress and the Vantage Theme. I have no website building experience before the last 6 months, so am still learning big time. I will definitely be checking out a few of those plugins. Thanks again for sharing all this.
    Good to hear and thank you. Our office got slammed with work for the last couple of weeks and I've been helping my daughters.

I'll get back on the Vantage theme and some things with the Siteorigin Page Builder and Widgets later this week. Ask questions if you have any and we'll try to answer them for you.
    esc4p3 likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

Siteorigin PageBuilder

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this thread. I got hauled out of retirement by my daughters due to their heavy work load.

Siteorigin PageBuilder is a powerful tool, and if you'll take the time to learn how to use it, you'll enjoy working with it. I'm in the process of getting ready to teach a 2 week WP course to a group of small mom & pop reality rental agencies, mostly for seasonal vacation rentals that can't afford to pay a developer big bucks for a realtor website.

We're going to use the Vantage theme, Siteorigin PageBulder and the Siteorigin widgets, and I'l bring you along with some of the things I'm going to teach them. Everything they learn can also be easily applied to any website.

One of the main things they're interested in is how to make a row of images (5 images) with text above each image and a link button below the images. They also want the row of images be full page width, images be the same size with the same width padding on each end of the row and between the images. They want to use a light box for the images also.

Simple to do with how you set up the row and use a small css code, and I'll furnish you the code. All you need is a css editor like the Simple css plugin that you can copy and paste the codes into it.

How to use some simple css to make the longer links (words) on the drop down menu be one line and not stacked.

And one of the biggies is, how do I take out all the white space between the rows and make them closer together? Simple to do with how you make adjustments to the rows, and I'll show you how to do that.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Jun 05th, 2019 at 07:17 PM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

Setting Up A Full Width Page For Pagebuilder

The Vantage theme, being one of the most versatile themes available in Wordpress, is simple enough to setup to build a website on using the Siteorigin Pagebuilder and their widgets.

We always use full width pages with no sidebars. If we need sidebars we’ll build them ourselves using Pagebuilder. If you’re going to be a blogger then the default pages should work for you.

To make a full width page after you’ve made and given a page a name, open the page and then open the Pagebuilder for the page. (This is how we do it)

Look on the right side of the page and you’ll see a list of options, some will be drop downs.

Where you see Template, the drop down will give you several options as how to setup the page. I’m going to use the Full Width Page With No Title.

Order: None

Display Page Slider: None

Page Layout: Full Width

Page Featured Image: Leave display unchecked.

Page Title: Leave unchecked

Masthead Bottom Margin: Leave check in the enable box

Footer Top Margin: Leave unchecked

Hide Masthead: Leave unchecked

Featured Image: Leave as is

That should have your page setup and ready to use Pagebuilder to build a full width page with no sidebars. Click on Publish and you should be ready to start building the page. Be sure to view the page and make sure the page is blank where the page content will go.

Next I'll show you how we setup Pagebuilder with rows and columns and how you can adjust the rows and columns to make everything work on a page for you and not look out of order.

Last edited by bleau canon; Jun 17th, 2019 at 12:44 AM.
    turboguy likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi all,

Hope all is well. I didn't see the last posts til just now. Thank you bleau canon for the detailed explanation, and thank you webdigitalnz for the kind words.

I'd like to share an update on this one.

I thought it would be straightforward. Copy the site over from squarespace to WP. I hired someone I found online. At his request, we used OceanWP theme, and the Elementor plugin (standard version).

We worked together, and we painstakingly copied it. He had to write some js code for the sections on Home and Us to click through to other pages.

For this, I told my client 40 hours, and we reached it.

Meanwhile, she sent me 3 emails with different change requests. Make this purple, change the contact form, ...about 15-20 changes in all, which took various amounts of time.

I added other portfolio items, magazine references (in "My Clients/Publications").

I don't think she realized how her changes would look and it took time to set them in. I know how it looks. Not phenomenal. Then she went in and changed things herself. Got to fix her messes.

And now she is not happy.

Other night, Friday, 9:45 pm text with new requests. emailed too. Many more changes. it's kind of Frankensteined.

So, she used up all the time. I know now that she didn't know that. Didn't think to warn her that all her requests would use up all the time.

Asking a lot, seeing things not there. Although I charged her a fair amount, I didn't expect all the additional change requests. I don't like to work for free. Thinking to give her some more time, like a few hours, then charge. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by pranaman; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 07:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Hi all,

Asking a lot, seeing things not there. Although I charged her a fair amount, I didn't expect all the additional change requests. I don't like to work for free. Thinking to give her some more time, like a few hours, then charge. What do you guys think?
    We all need to set our own standards of how we live our life and how we run our business. As I understand it you quoted her a set price and figured it would take about 40 hours. Now thanks to the many changes it is taking more. My understanding is there was no discussion that you expected it to take 40 hours and any time over that would be an additional charge.

My standards are that if I tell someone I will do something or tell them I will do something at a certain price I do what I say, win lose or draw. I have times I lose money because I feel my word has value. I do however try to learn from my mistakes and try to improve what my actions are so that I don't get myself into a bad situation.

You need to make your own decision about how to run your business and the value you place on your word.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads